I have been on the low carb lifestyle for a couple of months already. It is a lifestyle commitment that requires a mindset shift.
Fortunately, Facebook has ample groups and communities that provide support for the low carb-high fat lifestyle.
One of the keys to success is to focus on the foods that you CAN have and less on what you cannot have.
It is for the same reason that I will focus this post on the best foods to eat on a low carb diet.
In this post...
A summary of the best foods for a low carb diet
No matter which low carb diet you pursue, there seems to be an agreement about the foods that should make up most of the diet. A low carb diet for weight loss and improved health should consist of whole foods and eliminate processed foods……
Protein for low carb diet lifestyles – what to eat on a low carb diet
H.F.’s Outstanding Grass Fed Ny Strip Steak, 10 Ounce (Pack of 6)Porter & York Brand Meats – Whole Chickens 8-packAugason Farms Whole Egg 9 oz #2.5 CanOptimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Double Rich Chocolate, 5 Pound, 80 Ounce
I got confused in the beginning about the types and amount of protein for low carb diet regimens until I started with the Real Meal Revolution eating plan. A low carb diet, in this instance, does not mean a high protein diet.
Always stick to the standard palm size protein portion, even on a low carb diet. Excessive protein can have adverse effects on your health.
These are the best protein options when on the low carb lifestyle:
- All beef, lamb, chicken, pork etc. Grass fed animal protein and free range poultry is always the best option. It is not necessary for these to be lean. I have learned to let go of my fat-phobias since embarking on the low carb-high fat journey.
- Salmon, tuna, haddock, swordfish
- Whole eggs are a staple for low carbers. They are rich in nutrients like Omega-3, selenium, iodine etc. Egg whites do not come close to whole eggs and are stripped of most of the goodness of eggs.
- A good protein powder can be used (although not a whole food). I have days where I cannot sit and have breakfast, and a protein shake always comes in handy. I always go for one that has 3g (or less) carbs per serving.
Best vegetables for a low carb diet
The best vegetables for a low carb diet are those that have a low carb count. Leafy vegetables like spinach, kale, cabbage etc. are a good choice. Other good choices are:
- Sweet potato (have less frequently if you intend to lose weight)
- Zucchini (baby marrow)
When it comes to the best foods for a low carb diet, whole and unprocessed is best. The same goes for dairy products. Unlike most diets, my low carb diet discourages (if not forbids) the use of low-fat or fat-free products.
Artificial means are used to achieve this by compensating with sugar and high carb ingredients (not the best foods for a low carb diet). If you have a dairy intolerance, you can actually succeed without it. I only use dairy for special occasions and foods like desserts and baking. Other than that, I can go for weeks without ingesting it.
The most popular dairy foods for low carbers are:
- Full cream milk (occasionally)
- Cheese (cream, parmesan, feta, and cottage)
- Double cream plain yogurt